Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy facing further sexual assault charges

Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy is facing further sexual assault charges after previously being charged over a separate sexual assault allegation, it was reported Tuesday.

The France international, who made his professional debut for City last season, was arrested in May after being accused of assaulting a woman during a night out in Paris. A source close to Mendy told Sky Sports that the two charges relate to an incident in 2016, but has not elaborated.

Police confirmed Tuesday that Mendy is facing additional charges after the August trial of a man arrested in Paris on suspicion of raping a woman in 2016. Last week, Mendy pleaded not guilty to the first charge.

The 26-year-old Mendy, who joined City from Nice for £49 million in the summer of 2017, had an outstanding year with the Premier League champions in 2017-18, making his first-team debut in February. He became the first player to play in all 23 Premier League games for City last season, and started eight of City’s Champions League matches.

“Mr. Mendy has entered not guilty pleas to the charges he is facing, and will undergo a pre-trial investigation to determine if he will face trial,” City said.

A date for the pre-trial investigation will be set at a hearing later this month.

-Fox Soccer

Leave a Comment